Further Club Reports 2014

Further Club Reports

Club racing from around the country

Formula 6, Round 2

19th April, Bayford Meadows

Words by Mary-Ann Horley

The F6 South East championship continued at Bayford with some good racing in the Cadets and Prokarts.

In Cadets the Clubman Rhys Anthony came through from 4th and won a typically close race ahead of Alfie Glennie and Ethan Perry.

Nicholas Taig took another strong win in Senior Open, ahead of the field by over 8s. Daniel Lee took 2nd after starting 4th and headed Thomas Lyndhurst for most of the race.

In Senior Prokart and Heavy, Trevor Bull won after passing quickest man on track Sam Logan early in the race. Gary Ager started second before dropping to fourth, but he came back to 3rd by the flag.

Graham King won Senior Open Twin by over 5s from Anthony Whitehead in the biggest class of the day. Whitehead had been battling with Nigel Cordrey, finishing just a tenth ahead.

Formula 6 Round 1 & F6 Plate

29th March , Blackbushe

The first round of the F6 Championship took place at Blackbushe at the end of March and in Cadets, Harry King took a three-tenths win against Alfie Glennie with Alexander Page in third.

Nicholas Taig was on pole in Senior Open but lost the lead at the start to Dave Ankers. Taig took the place back after three laps with Jonathan Carberry also taking the opportunity to get past Ankers which is the order they finished.

Nigel Cordrey led all the way in Senior Open Twin. Graham King passed Shaun Mulligan at the start and went on to finish second followed by King.

In the Senior Prokart and Heavy class, Chris Scott and Cristiano Nardone broke away from the field with Sam Logan 3rd by almost two seconds.

F100 Sprit of the 1990s

6th April , Hooton Park

Words by Oliver Scullion

The first round of the new F100 series was running alongside the Retro Racer historic series at Hooton Park. Using pre-2000, 100cc air-cooled engines.

Rob Halls was on pole for the final with Toby Sinclair second on the grid and series organiser Oliver Scullion in 4th.

Having driven a couple of races earlier in the Retro Race Classic Class 1, Scullion already had knowledge of where the damp areas on the drying track were. It enabled him to take the lead on the opening lap.

Halls was next with Toby Sinclair following and he started to close on Scullion, bringing the gap down to a second.

At the left hand hairpin though, Halls pushed too hard and hit a wet patch, sliding off and colliding hard into the tyres. Sinclair was too far back to make a challenge to Scullion, and Devinder Athwal took third.

Llandow Kart Club Championship Round 2

15th March

Words by Craig Llewellyn

The weather gods again looked kindly on Llandow Kart Club as Round 2 of the 2014 season was accompanied by dry and sunny conditions, although a blustery breeze kept drivers on their toes in south Wales.

The Bambinos featured the same three drivers as February and Nathan Browning, Ella Stevens and Max Hall all acquitted themselves well over the full circuit, achieving silver awards.

The combined Cadet field boasted 15 runners, with the Honda section the best represented. However, it was IAME driver Shay Keough who crossed the line first in the final, holding off the Honda-powered Ferguson brothers by less than a second, with Comer winner Max Fenlon in fourth.

Junior Honda was once again dominated by Celtic Challenge champion Kristian Prosser, who claimed victory in all three heats before cruising to a 11s win in the final. Patrick Hill and novice Jack Bligh completed the top three each time, remaining in that order despite being closely matched.

Rob Ellis remained unbeaten throughout the Junior Rotax competition, although his margin of victory remained at around 4s as Thomas Croydon, David Spiller and Tom Ford took it in turns to give chase.

Despite Spiller’s ever-presence in the top three, it was Croydon who emerged at the head of the battle for runner-up honours in the final.

MiniMax was again claimed by Riley Phillips, who won his class in three of the four outings. The day’s other win went to Jem Hempworth, who comfortably headed Kieran Clarke and novice Callum Beeken in the battle for 2nd in the main event.

Yousuf Ashraf saved his best for last in Junior TKM, building on a series of top three heat results to finally come out on top when it mattered in the Final. Alex Rees (twice) and Hugo Holmes won heats but had to settle for 3rd and 4th respectively in the main event as Ashraf and Sam Johns pulled away to be separated by just 0.12s at the flag. Rees, however, was later rewarded with Driver of the Day honours.

Ben Stevens (twice) and Cristiano Nardone claimed the Senior Honda heat wins and Danny Griffiths and Chris Lipscomb were forced to take a watching brief, but came good in the main event to fill the top two spots, with Nardone also finding the podium after Stevens was left with a DNF.

Senior Rotax proved to be the domain of Gareth Taylor and Dilip Singh. Having finished second overall in Round 1, Taylor opened up with victory in heats 1 and 3 and third in heat 2, but it was Singh, after a quiet start, who came good at the end, denying his rivals by a couple of seconds in the Final with the fastest lap.

Taylor’s day ended with another top three result, but he had to be content with third on the road after Josh Gray stole into 2nd spot to add to his heat 2 victory.

Club 2000 Round 3

1st March , Red Lodge

Words by Andrew Webb

Red Lodge is well into its championship season. The March meeting started with Junior TKM polesitter Sam Neale winning by under a second from third placed Kathleen Sore. Runner up Adam Sparrow lost two places on the opening lap, first to Sore and then to fifth placed Charlie Machin, whom he was unable to catch by under 0.2s.

A dearth of Junior Rotax drivers forced an improved split grid, won by Jay Daniels over Daniel Clements. After the Juniors had put 20s seconds of daylight between them, the pack of MiniMax racers set off with Oliver Carter first followed by Jack Veazey.

There was a large Honda Cadet grid of 19 drivers with poleman Khali Atkins dominating by three seconds. David Sheering made a three-place gain to come second ahead of Angus Marks.

The TKM Extreme final was won by Stuart Smith with a two-place gain ahead of second placed George Friday while poleman Thomas Ebbs finished third. The Senior Rotax grid, dominated by the Heavies, was won by Nic Carlton-Smith, 6s ahead of Richard Neale.

The day was rounded off by the Junior ProKarts with Stephanie Sore winning by 20s from Rickey Wells, himself 14s ahead of William Smalley.

Rissington Kart Club Championship Round 2 & 210 Challenge

6th April , Little Rissington

Words by Mary-Ann Horley

Rissington’s second club championship round saw changeable weather which complicated tyre choice and setup.

In the Comer and Honda Cadet final, polesitter Connor Kearney lost the lead early on to Max Fenlon (both Comer) but claimed it back again with a couple of laps to go to win. Jakob Chamberlain took 3rd from Oliver Stratford with two laps to go. Top Honda was Harry King in 5th, who gained seven places.

In IAME Jenson Woodruff came into his own in the last half of the race as he clawed his way through from 5th to take the lead on the last lap from Shay Keough, followed by Joshua Davis.

Aidan Rudge led all the way in the growing Tyro class while there was an early race battle between Josh Porter, Georgie Chapman and Faye Howard. Porter made 2nd stick while Charlie Thompson took 3rd from Chapman on the last lap.

Luke Plain won the 210 Challenge after an earlier spell in the lead was curtailed by Graham Payne. Chris Callaghan took 3rd when poleman Dan Bury dropped to the back.

Ethan Pitt came through from 5th to win in Junior TKM followed by Bradley White who also spent a lot of the race overtaking. Scott Morris took 3rd after starting on pole.

Garry Fletcher won the 250 Gearbox final almost 4s ahead of Mike Darling after Jack Love retired from the lead.

TKM Extreme and Clubman had a combined race with Matthew Allnutt leading from lights to flag in Extreme ahead of Jack Ransom and Alexander Paterson. Colin Morris won Clubman ahead of Craig MacDonald.

There was another lights to flag win in Senior Rotax for Chris Thomas, while in 2nd William Hutchings gained several places to finish 6s behind Thomas with Ben Davis 3rd.

Cumbria Kart Racing Club Championship Round 2

ABkC Super Four National Championship for KZ2 Round 1

9th March , Rowrah

Many of the Rotax Super One hopefuls were running at Rowrah in March, gathering data for the first round there at the end of April.

In the wet final, Junior Rotax racer Jack McCarthy made best use of his inside 3rd place starting position to take the lead early on and pull away from Finlay Hutchinson who had followed him through. Tom Gamble was coming through and in the closing stages he took 2nd while Hutchinson dropped to 5th. Gamble took a second out of McCarthy’s lead on the last lap but by then he was 6s ahead.

In Senior Rotax, Nathan Aston was the final winner after pushing Adam Glear for the first two thirds of the race. Brett Ward had been on pole after two 2nds in the heats and dropped to 4th at the start but came back to 3rd after passing Joseph Reilly with three laps to go.

Dean MacDonald led the MiniMax final most of the way with Alex Quinn never far behind and even taking the lead briefly on the penultimate lap. Lucas Vaus had been 2nd early on but had been defeated by Quinn, although he wasn’t far behind in 3rd at the flag.

It was Round One of the Super Four series for KZ2 and entries included recent IndyCar signing Jack Hawksworth, as well as reigning TKM Extreme champion Will Van Es and KZ stalwarts James Glenister and Sam Moore. Hawksworth won all three heats and the final only headed when Glenister got ahead at the start. Glenister kept Hawksworth’s lead to a second or less while under constant pressure from Van Es.

In IAME Cadet, Jonny Edgar led the first half while Lewis Thompson was bearing down on him. Thompson passed and pulled away while Edgar fought with Teddy Wilson and Kiern Jewiss and eventually regained 2nd while Jewiss lost out and ended up 12th.

Matthew Hopcraft started the Honda Cadet final from pole but after leading for six laps was overtaken by Harry Thompson in an attack that left him several seconds down. Behind the leaders there were battles between Jenson Butterfield, Thomas Pegram, Keaton Samra and Oliver Clarke before Clarke took 2nd ahead of Pegram at the end.

Kyle Hornby won the Junior TKM Final with a substantial lead over Cameron Fisher after Joe Taylor had been 2nd early in the race.

South Yorkshire Kart Club Championship Round 1 & Winter Series Round 5

9th March , Wombwell

Words by Mary-Ann Horley

As the summer series started at Wombwell there was an increase in entries and decent grids in most classes.

James Lingard won two Senior Rotax heats and Ryan Turner one but the final winner was Stephen Burdass, 0.16s ahead of Benji Baulk with Lingard retiring after a couple of laps.

Brendan Pattison and Thomas Wood took the Junior Rotax heats and Wood the final finishing 1.6s ahead of Joe Stables and Bailey Hansford.

Joe Beecroft, Archie Kitching and James Taylor won the wide open combined Cadet heats but Taylor ran away with the final to finish 4s ahead of the pack which was led by Jenson Parker from Callum Hattersley.

In MiniMax, the relatively inexperienced Jamie-Lea Hawley won the first heat, Adam Batty the second and third. But Mason Walker took the final win by a massive 11.65s from Hawley.

Justin Clarke and Peter Sharrocks shared the X30 heat wins with Sharrocks claiming the final victory ahead of Clarke and Jack France.

Stars at Whilton Mill Club Championship Round 3

23rd March

Three drivers battled it out for the Comer Cadet win. Taylor Whitson, Toby McDonald and Max Fenlon were in the running with Whitson winning by 0.13s and just a hundredth between McDonald and Fenlon.

It was a strong Junior Max field but Max Stilp led all the way after poleman Matthew Fretwell lost a few places at the start. Fretwell soon got back into 2nd and stayed within half a second of Stilp with Stef Charalambous moving up to third.

Johnathan Hoggard led MiniMax all the way through with Timothy Amadi, Saul Robinson and Kieran Wragg fighting all the way not too far behind. Amadi eventually took second, only 0.35s behind Hoggard and ahead of Robinson.

In IAME Cadet, Harry Platten got several seconds ahead at the start and did well to stay there while the uncharacteristically spread out field did their thing behind him. Caden McQueen came in 2nd and Klaas Kooiker 3rd.

The Junior X30s were also spread out with Alfie Brown winning from Daniel McAuley and Josh Pickford while Elliott Harvey, the fastest driver on the track, didn’t finish. In the same race, Bradley White took the Junior TKM win 6.45s ahead of Ethan Andrews.

Robert Gilford led early on in the Senior Rotax final but was then taken by Sam Smelt who went on to win. Guy Perry and Josh Bodley passed at the same time but Perry was later excluded from second for being underweight, promoting Bodley to second and Gilford to third. Jack Bartholomew was the first X30 home followed by Dean Hale.

Honda Cadet was red-flagged after an accident for Mark Kimber, who was airlifted from the track. Harry Thompson was just ahead of Tom Canning and Oliver Clarke after seven laps. Kimber suffered a dislocated hip and after some surgery was soon recovering well at home. This meant that the two Formula Blue classes didn’t get their finals as there wasn’t enough time remaining.

Manchester & Buxton Kart Club Championship Round 2 & NKRA Blue Challenge (Scotland & Northern) Round 1

23rd February , Three Sisters

The second MBKC meeting of the year was joined by the NKRA Blue Challenge as well as the racing debut of the Junior KGP engine.

In IAME & Honda Cadet Joe Willoughby won the final by working his way through to the front of the lead pack, just 0.06s ahead of Thomas Westworth at the flag with Billy Vassilev four tenths behind in 3rd after gaining six places.

Tom Waddington took the lead on lap 4 of MiniMax and pulled away by 4s leaving Tom Geaney and Jamie Sharp in his wake.

Mike Woodside led all the way through in Senior Blue ahead of Brian Lees and Ross Adamson who had both passed Craig Daly.

There were two Junior Blues and two Junior KGPs, with Sam Faulkner and Nathan Wells respectively the winners.

Jake Anderson had a good first lap in Junior Rotax, taking the lead from 3rd and going on to win but there was nothing to choose between him and Lewis Brien and Daniel Youd once they had passed poleman Matthew Cowley.

Two Senior KGPs started on the back of the Senior Rotax grid which turned out to be a mistake as they steadily overtook the entire field with BRDC Formula 4 reigning champion Jake Hughes winning. The Rotax winner was Max Bladon after an early-race tussle with Phil Smith.