Shenington Kart Racing Club Round 9 Report

WordPress database error: [Table 'kmuk_db.wp_fblb' doesn't exist]
SELECT * FROM wp_fblb WHERE id = 1

18th September 2016

The weather could not have been better for the club’s ninth round, the entry somewhat depleted by clashing meetings.

Both Cadet grids were very popular though and in the Honda 4-stroke category Maurice Henry battled hard for his win. Alex Molloy moved up to second over Thomas Mills on the first lap then when Robbie Stapleford displaced both it gave Henry a short respite. However Stapleford towed Mills up to the leader to set up one of the closest ever finishes, Henry taking the flag 0.03s ahead of Stapleford. Mills lost out to Chris Simpson and Molloy at the last corner.


In the IAME 2-stroke category Freddie Spindlow and Harvey Riby broke away at the front once Riby had leapfrogged Harry Yardley-Rose and Lorenzo Kordal. Maximus Hall took Kordal for third but was thwarted slightly by a back marker in his efforts to close on Riby and winner Spindlow.


Luke Richardson and Kaylem Burbridge traded the Mini Max lead in a thin grid but finished in that order, Jonathan Lawrence retiring from third elevating Ben Leeson.


William Layton enjoyed a lights to flag victory in Junior TKM at Shenington on Sunday. The Banbury driver held off his rivals as they fought over second, allowing him to extend his lead to nearly 4s by the chequer flag. Joel Oswick was shuffled back from his initial second place by Ross Deal and Louis Harvey, the latter then slicing into second. Meanwhile championship leader Joshua Sherriff closed the gap to this trio, finishing fourth after Deal was excluded for a technical non-compliance. Layton is now only 24 points behind Sherriff in the club championship standings.


Robert Welham had to work hard for his Junior X30 win, vaulting up from fifth off the start to trade the lead with Billy Mattock. Welham slid wide into the corners on more than one occasion, opening the door for first Mattock and then Zak Bowen. He fell behind both but always had the pace to regain the front with some great moves, winning over Bowen whilst Mattock was shuffled behind Matthew Herbert.

Lewis Wadley arrowed up to front in TKM Extreme from fifth, taking William Lakin at the Stratford hairpin for the lead. Lakin fought back at Park corner for the win and Wadley succumbed to Max Goldsmith at Café Corner. Meanwhile Joseph Reeves-Smith leapfrogged Open Champion Matthew Taylor for fifth.


Shenington’s André Marot had dominated the TKM Clubman heats despite a scare when his engine was slow to start, and he took a lights to flag victory in the final. Luke Bourne did his best to challenge Marot in the early stages but had to turn his attention to defending from Suk Sandher, the latter then falling down the order behind William Shaw and James Cayzer.


Report and images courtesy of Graham Smith

Like this article? Then check out all our other race reports here:

All Club Racing reports

Main Race Reports page