Shenington KC – Round 11

Championship Round 11, 16th November 2014

Now into winter time so the club is running two heats and final and luckily the rain stayed away for the penultimate round of the year. A really good entry of 190 karts came to do battle, the last race finishing just before darkness, the track having dried for slicks late morning after overnight fog and mist.

After a stoppage to attend to a crashed kart the Honda Cadets came back out a little later. Oliver Clarke and Ben Kasperczak traded the lead frantically whilst Harry Restall was hung out to dry at the first hairpin, falling to sixth.

He worked back to third only to be elbowed right out of contention on the last lap. Clarke made a successful dive in the chicane to claim the win, Louie Short coming third.

In the concurrent Comer race, probably the last one at the track, Jonathan Lawrence came out on top after a fight with Charlie Webster. Brandon Martland did relieve Taylor Barnard of the lead for a couple of mid race laps in the IAME Cadet category, but Barnard grabbed it back on the penultimate lap and held on for the win. Dexter Patterson came in a lonely third.

Guesting this month were the lower powered Junior Tyro karts where drivers don’t need to take a licence test. The more experienced Georgie Chapman romped off for the win, whilst Charlie Thompson gradually eased clear of Joshua Porter for second.

MiniMax turned to be a thriller, with so many place changes throughout the leading pack. Owen Byatt had spun at the start. Fin Kenneally looked to have regained command over Tyler Chesterton and Jordan Collard on the last lap, but he went off at the last corner and Collard slipped past Chesterton to win by less than a tenth of a second.

An ecstatic Joseph Reeves-Smith won the Junior TKM final after Matthew Graham slithered across the grass in front of Reeves- Smith at the last corner. The race has started with a massive mid pack pile up at the second corner, four karts badly delayed and another eleven needing a restart or retiring in what was a full grid of karts.

James Clarke had taken the chance to forge ahead of Matthew Round-Garrido, the latter soon dispatched to fifth place. Graham leapfrogged Reeves-Smith and Clarke to lead the pack but dropped to third at that last corner.

As Alfie Brown roared clear in the Junior X30, the next pair of Elliot Harvey and Callum Bradshaw tangled on the last lap, Bradshaw coming off worst and Harvey retaining second over a distant Pedro Gomez.

In Junior Max Harrison Thomas put a three second gap on Alex McRoberts, who just held off Jonathan Hoggard.

Two big fights highlighted the senior TKM Extreme, with Jack Ransom winning over Jack Monkhouse and Gary Fowler getting the better of Jack Griffiths for third. J

ordan Montgomery and Alexander Paterson had both crashed at the first hairpin and although restarting both retired leaving only seven karts racing.

Josh Waring held off Michael Green in the economy TKM Clubman class with Max Goldsmith being given third after Danny Allin received a five place penalty for gaining an unfair advantage. Tom Longfield had been running fourth but was nerfed out in the chicane, with Jack Macaulay and Colin Morris involved then David Medlock spinning in avoidance.

James Johnson won the senior Rotax Max at a canter over Philip Rawson with Matthew Hirst dropping right out of third to the back in favour of Edward Tansley.

Scott Allen sliced under David Baldwin to take an early lead in the KZ UK. Lacking a little pace, he had to give best to Baldwin but successfully defended second from Dan Kelly and former under 18 World Champion Henry Easthope.

His brother Ross Allen missed a heat but worked up to second in the 250 National final before his pulse pipe came off and forced retirement on the last lap. Alex Burrows cruised to victory over Aaron Powell.