Shenington Review

The club was lucky with the weather once again for its second round of the Winter and Club series, beautiful clear blue sky and sun all day for the 180 competitors.

Leading the Honda Cadet grid and having a great battle were Luke Whitehead and Keaton Samra, with Whitehead retrieving the lead on the last lap and Guy Cunninton just holding off Nicholas Reeve for 3rd.

In Comer Cadets novice Charly Field held the pack at bay for several laps, but Jonathan Lawrence eventually found a gap at the chicane, Field fought back and took the win over Lawrence.

Elliot Harvey led Minimax from pole position and pulled a big gap over the early laps. But Kieran Wragg and Jordan Goodyear clawed that in, although each time they were in touching distance of Harvey a mistake left him a cushion. Wragg’s mistake was in the chicane which let Goodyear run up the inside, putting Wragg on the marbles for a quick off sliding wide out of the Hangar corner and allowing Tommy Foster to claim 3rd.

Joe Turney and Albert Carter had a massive fight for the IAME Cadet win, Turney waiting until there were three laps to run before snatching the lead only to find Carter fighting back. A couple of changes later, Turney came across the winner over Carter.

Jack Ransom led Ashley Jones away in the TKM Senior Extreme final but with several karts sidelined in a start crash the pace flags came out to slow the field. Jones had taken the lead by then but Ransom sliced past at Park corner and held onto the chequered flag despite all that Jones could throw at him. Five karts were in the lead battle, with Tom Owen lying 3rd until Matt England nosed past in the chicane, forcing Owen to divert over the kerbs to avoid more contact, putting him down to 5th.

In Junior Max Jordan Richards steamed away to a near 4s victory. Luis Reynolds was shuffled from 2nd to 4th, Sam Stansbury briefly escaping from the battle until Ronan Quinn caught and passed him.

A huge entry of 42 Junior TKM karts led to a B Final to sort out the A Final grid. Alex Forward had the initial lead, then Arran Mills but finally Dino Lee came through and pulled clear of Mills and Forward.

The economy TKM Clubman class had 23 karts on the grid. Max Goldsmith and William Lakin traded the lead until the race was stopped to attend to a stricken driver. At the restart Lakin fell back, and Goldsmith held off Mark Waring to the flag. Last meeting’s winner Josh Waring had a heat DNF and was also carrying 4kg success ballast, he made it to 5th behind Steve Barker.

Matt Davies escaped the rest of the Formula KGP pack with Jack New passing Jamie Flynn and Stephen Letts to chase the leader. In the concurrent Senior Rotax Max class Sam Smelt and Myles Potter traded the lead until Luke Griffin pipped Potter on the last lap leaving Smelt the winner.

Recovering from a poor start for the KZ 125cc gearbox class when his hand slipped off the clutch lever, Scott Allen took his time carving past Richard Crozier and Will van Es before homing in on leader Charlie Robertson. Allen lined up Robertson and shot into a lead which he extended to over 2s.

With the light failing at the end of the day, in the 250 National class (running with KZ2) Alex Burrows ran wide at the second corner letting Daniel Thornell head the pack. Burrows found an opening to get back in front, the pair trading the lead and Thornell prevailing. Steve Weatherhead did well to hold off Mark Pask and Aaron Powell for 3rd.