Home » Reports » National Reports » DMAX » DMAX Round 4

DMAX Round 4

TW Steel Daytona DMAX Championship – Round 4 Ellough Park

Ellough Park is a new addition to the DMAX calendar for 2015 which meant a good proportion of the grid had not raced there before.

This technical track offers few overtaking points and certainly had the paddock discussing grip levels, lines and run off into the night at the hotel. The grids were smaller than usual, possibly down to some nervousness about a new track from those keen to keep a clean sheet. For the drivers who made the journey the rewards were great; close racing, good weather and some good points to boot!

With only 0.3 seconds separating the top 3 in qualifying Tom Kempynck, Tom Golding and Ben Leslie were all hoping for a win. After building a good lead Kempynck was finally knocked off the top slot by Tom Sibley who worked his way up from 5th. Sibley took a solid win and grabbed a 49.4 best lap, with Dom Whiting in 2nd with a similarly heroic effort. Kempynck snatched 3rd with Ben Leslie in 4th after a hard fight with Tom Golding.


Joe Holmes took pole after a qualifying that saw the yellow flags just as people were finding their rhythm. Luke Cousins qualified just 0.17 seconds behind and Tim McKeegan started in 3rd. Holmes and Cousins got away cleanly and the ever present Bobby Trundley took 3rd only to have Keegan outbrake him to put things back to grid order. Half way through Holmes had a comfortable lead, with Cousins holding an equally big gap to McKeegan in 3rd. Joe Ellis, Bobby Trundley and Ben Chapman were all hunting 3rd place and with the karts all very equal the stage was set for a battle. After yellow flags just 6 laps from the end Chapman used the last minutes to grab 3rd, McKeegan settling for 5th and Ellis in 4th. Joe Holmes took a commanding win with a 49.8 best lap and Cousins grabbing a strong 2nd.


James Griffith took pole with some good early laps and held on to it with a gap of just 0.04 seconds over Rob Bennett in 2nd and Tomasz Zaustowicz in 3rd just 0.3 seconds behind. Griffith and Bennett both held position as the race started but a big push from David Vincent saw him take 3rd only to lose it to Chris Carter. Griffith built a 5 second lead and Bennett held 6 seconds over Vincent and Carter. Zaustowicz lost his timing transponder, literally, at the half way point and had to leave Jamie Pender to close the 8.5 second gap to Vincent in 4th. Griffith got passed a battle for 7th as he lapped the group who all drove perfectly, letting him through to take a strong 29.9 second win with a 50.5 second best lap. Vincent suffered a problem gifting 3rd to Carter.


The heats saw all the usual quick fire action and all the drivers getting substantial talking to by race director Jim Graham for continued contact across the weight classes.


Tom Golding took the top slot with Dom Whiting in 2nd who started at the front and Richard Lacey taking 3rd away from Ben Leslie in the final stages.


Joe Holmes grabbing the lead from Joe Ellis on pole and went on to take the top step. Bobby Trundley lost his second place after minor contact very late in the race and saw Ellis and Luke Cousins overtake. The final lap began and ended with Holmes, Ellis, Cousins and Trundley all nose to tail with Chris Alcock taking a well deserved 5th.


Rob Bennett finished 2nd but initially took the lead from Tomasz Zaustowicz with 3nd place being given to Chris Carter after Lee Henderson’s spin. Carter did a couple of fastest laps after he took 2nd and hunted Bennett down for the win. David Vincent earned a penalty after turning Zaustowicz around who managed 3rd place.